Home > Passengers > Taxi passengers > Choosing a regulated service

Choosing a regulated service

Sections of the Commercial Passenger Vehicle Industry Act 2017 relating to commercial passenger vehicle licences are now law. Information about the changes is available on the Industry reforms page.

The below information may be out of date as this page is currently under review.

There are many regulated travel choices in Victoria to get you to your destination. Regulated taxis and hire cars are available across the state.

You can easily identify a regulated taxi number plate by its dark green background and the words "Accredited Taxi Service" in white letters.

Image of metro number plate

Some hire cars can be easily identified because their number plate starts with VHA, VHB or VHC.

All new hire cars (including rideshare vehicles) will operate with normal private number plates. However these services must still be licensed through the Taxi Services Commission.

Before you travel, make sure you are travelling in a regulated vehicle. You can check the status of a driver and their vehicle (including Rideshare vehicles) at any time on the public register. The public register is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.