Proof of identification

Proof of identity (POI) for lodging an application for commercial passenger vehicle licences and taxi-cab industry accreditation

Proof of identity (POI) documents required

In order to process the application, the following evidence of POI needs to be presented whenever it is required:

  • one primary evidence document (high quality evidence of who you are), and
  • one secondary evidence document (to confirm the current use of your name in the community), and
  • evidence of residence (if not shown on the primary or secondary evidence), and
  • evidence of change of name (only if the name differs between primary and secondary evidence documents).

Primary and secondary evidence documents must be separate documents. For example, a driver licence cannot be used as both a primary and secondary evidence. One document must contain your signature.

If presented in person

Only original POI documents will be accepted. These documents will be sighted, copied and returned immediately.

Applying by mail (or if person, whose POI documents are required, is not present when application is lodged).

Photocopies of original POI documents need to be certified by either a member of the police force, an accountant (CA, CPA, MNIA), bank manager, honorary justice (JP), medical practitioner, dentist, school principal, veterinary surgeon, pharmacist, barrister or a solicitor and have to be included with the application. Original documents will NOT be accepted and will be returned immediately, delaying the application process. Faxed or emailed copies of POI will not be accepted for applications involving the transfer of licences.

To obtain certification, you must present to one of the people listed above, the original documents and a photocopy of it. The person authorised to certify must write on the photocopy 'I certify that this copy is a true and accurate copy of the original' and also state their name, occupation and date.

Primary evidence documents

One of the following current documents must be produced:

  • Australian photo driver licence
  • Australian passport in your name
  • an overseas passport in your name
  • document of identity issued by the Passport Office (usually issued to travellers to Norfolk Island)
  • Australian police force or officer of Australian Defence Force photo identity card (excluding civilian staff)
  • consular photo identity card issued by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade
  • Australian birth certificate or change of name certificate issued by the registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages (birth extracts and Commonwealth Commemorative birth certificates will not be accepted)
  • Australian naturalisation or citizenship documents, or immigration papers issued by the Department of Immigration and Multicultural Affairs of the Passport Office
  • NSW Photo Card (issued by NSW RTA from 14 December 2005).


One of the following documents that is current or expired by no more than two years:

  • Australian passport in your name
  • Australian photo driver licence
  • Australian photo learner permit
  • Australian Defence Force photo licence
  • Victorian boat operator photo licence*
  • Victorian firearm photo licence.**

*An overseas passport that has expired by up to two years is acceptable if appropriate Australian documentation can be provided giving strong evidence of permanent residence (e.g. a permanent or residency visa).

**Or equivalent interstate photo licence.

Secondary evidence documents

One of the following current documents must be produced:

  • Medicare card
  • Pensioner Concession card
  • Department of Veteran's Affairs card
  • entitlement card issued by the Commonwealth
  • student identity card
  • credit card or account card issued from a bank, building society or credit union.


One of the following documents that is current or no more than two years old:

  • water rates, council rates or land evaluation notice
  • electoral enrolment card or other evidence of enrolment
  • armed services discharge papers
  • Victorian Proof of Age card issued by the Business Licensing and Regulation section of Consumer Affairs Victoria
  • Victorian Driving Instructor Authority card.

Differing name or change of name

Where there is a difference in name between the primary and secondary evidence documents, or to change a name, you will need one of the following documents:

  • marriage certificate issued by a Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages in Australia
  • divorce papers (bearing the name being reverted to)
  • deed poll (pre November 1986 in Victoria)
  • change of name certificate (post November 1986 in Victoria).