Home > Licence owners & operators > Hire car owners & operators > Metropolitan Hire Cars > Applying for a Metropolitan Hire Car licence

Applying for a Metropolitan Hire Car licence

Sections of the Commercial Passenger Vehicle Industry Act 2017 relating to commercial passenger vehicle licences are now law. Information about the changes is available on the Industry reforms page.

The below information may be out of date as this page is currently under review.

Metropolitan Hire Car licences are issued for pre-booked point-to-point commercial passenger vehicle work undertaken in an approved motor vehicle where the licence holder has an operational address located inside the Metropolitan Hire Car licence zone (see the boundary map).

Vehicles operating on Metropolitan Hire Car licences are issued with special identifying VHA or VHB registration plates.

How to apply

Please familiarise yourself with the Uniform hire car licence conditions before applying.

To apply for a Metropolitan Hire Car licence, the following documents must be submitted:

Please note: The application fee, licence issue fee and annual licence fee must all be paid upon submission of the application.

The TSC will conduct a Criminal History Check on your behalf. The results of this check may affect your application. To find out more about police checks see Police Checks by the TSC.

We will assess your application and respond within 15 business days.

Please note: If your application is refused, the TSC will refund the licence issue fee and annual licence fee. The application fee is non-refundable.

Approved applications

Upon approval of the application, the licence holder will receive a licence certificate and an approval letter that will request the following:

  • a current roadworthy certificate from a licensed taxi tester for the vehicle to be used as a hire car (no older than 30 days) and the vehicle's registration certificate


  • if the vehicle is brand new, we require a letter from the dealership (on company letterhead) confirming that the vehicle is a non-demonstrator model. The letter must also include the vehicle registration number, VIN, engine number, make, model, compliance plate date and name of licence holder.

We will then allocate special identifying VHA or VHB registration plates for the vehicle and issue an 'Authority to Register' to permit VicRoads to register the vehicle as a hire car. Please note that the name in which the vehicle is registered must match the name of the licence holder

See also Transferring a Metropolitan Hire car licence.