Home > Licence owners & operators > Hire car owners and operators > Applying for a hire car licence

Applying for a hire car licence

Vehicles that provide booked commercial passenger vehicle services must be licensed as hire cars.

This includes services such as:

  • rideshare
  • wedding cars
  • community and local buses
  • tour vehicles (such as motorcycle, off road four wheel drive and vintage vehicles)

Vehicles providing unbooked and booked services must be licensed as taxis.

Information on this page

Applicant status

Applicants can apply for a hire car licence in their own name (as an individual) or as a non-individual (partnership, company, incorporated association or co-operative). If you apply as a non-individual, you must nominate a contact person.

Applicants who do not have driver or operator accreditation when they submit their application, must provide a copy of their Victorian driver licence, Australian passport, or international passport. Current documents, and those that have expired within the last two years, are accepted. Cancelled documents are not accepted.

How much does it cost?

A $52.90 annual administration fee applies to each hire car licence issued.

Refer to the fees and charges page for current information.

How to apply online

Individual applicants

If you are an individual applicant, you can apply for a hire car licence by completing the online application form.

Non-individual applicants

If the applicant is a partnership, company, incorporated association or co-operative (non-individual) you can apply by downloading the application for a hire car licence PDF, 93.1 KB form and returning the completed form to us.

Online applications

Proceed to Online Form

You should be using the latest versions of the following browsers to complete the form.

Chrome Edge Firefox Safari

Please note, the TSC recommends that you do not use Internet Explorer

Tips for applying online

  • Payment is accepted using a valid Visa  or MasterCard only.
  • Only individual applicants can apply online. Partnerships, companies, incorporated associations or co-operatives (non-individuals) cannot apply online.
  • Check the public register to make sure your vehicle is not already licensed as a taxi or hire car before applying online.
  • Enter your vehicle details, including the registration plate number. If your vehicle is unregistered, you cannot apply online.
  • Provide at least one of the following:
    • driver accreditation number
    • operator accreditation number
    • a copy of your Victorian driver licence, Australian passport or international passport. Current documents, and those that have expired within the last two years, are accepted. Cancelled documents are not accepted.
  • Complete and submit your application in one sitting. Incomplete applications cannot be saved.
  • Licence renewals cannot be completed using the online form.
  • The annual administration fee will be refunded if your application is unsuccessful.

Proceed to Online Form

After paying the annual administration fee and submitting your online application for a hire car licence, you will receive a confirmation email from noreply-vehicle-licence@taxi.vic.gov.au. Do not reply to this email as the inbox is not monitored.

If you do not receive the confirmation email within 24 hours of submitting your application, please check your junk and/or spam folders to see if it is there.

If you have difficultly using the online form, you can download a hard copy of the application for a hire car licence form PDF, 93.1 KB and returning the completed form to us. Please refer to the step by step instructions below.

Please note: applications submitted via hard copy may take longer to process.

Downloading and submitting hard copy applications

The online licence application form will be unavailable today (18 April 2018) from 9.00am to 4.00pm.

  1. Download and complete the Hire car licence application form PDF, 93.1 KB
  2. Pay the annual fee – see fees and charges
  3. Provide the vehicle details.(If you need to change your vehicle details  later, you will have to pay an additional fee)
  4. Include any required supporting documents
  5. Submit the form by mail or in person at the customer service centre. Hire car licence applications are no longer accepted via email.

You can pay by EFTPOS or credit card at our Customer Service Centre. If submitting your application by post, please complete section 8 of the application form. Cash and cheques are not accepted.  

Hard copy hire car licence application forms are only available by downloading them from this page of our website.


  • A licence holder cannot lease their hire car licence. Someone else cannot operate the licence on your behalf.
  • You must be the owner or intended owner of the vehicle you intend to license as a commercial passenger vehicle. The ‘owner’ of the vehicle is defined as one or more of the following:

(a) the owner or joint owner of a commercial passenger vehicle
(b) any person who has the use of a commercial passenger vehicle under a hiring or hire-purchase agreement
(c) any person in whose name: a commercial passenger vehicle is registered under the Road Safety Act 1986.

You are the intended owner if you have entered into an agreement to purchase a vehicle.

To understand your responsibilities as a hire car operator, visit the hire car owners and operator’s page.

Licence conditions

Applicants should familiarise themselves with the operating conditions that apply to hire car licences. The conditions are set out in Hire car licence conditions.

Hire cars operating in Victoria must meet Victorian roadworthiness requirements and must be inspected by a licensed vehicle tester every 12 months.

Approved applications

Hire car licence applications are processed within 10 business days.

Once your application is approved, we will send you a licence certificate and approval letter.

Hire cars now display ‘standard’ issue vehicle registration plates. Owners must ensure their vehicle meets the inspection requirements set out in the hire car licence conditions.

If you have any questions, please contact us.

Vehicle substitution

It is possible to change the vehicle on your hire car licence after your application has been approved, for a fee.

You will be charged a vehicle substitution fee of $74.50 to do so, which is more than the cost of applying for a new licence.

To substitute your vehicle, please complete a vehicle substitution form PDF, 71.1 KB and return to us.

If submitting this form via email to licensing@taxi.vic.gov.au, please attach a TSC payment authorisation form PDF, 58.3 KB.


All licence holders receive an invoice for their annual administration fee two months prior to the due date. A reminder letter will be sent one month prior to the due date, if the annual administration fee has not yet been paid.

Annual administration fees are due on licence anniversary dates.