Home > Licence owners & operators > Hire car owners & operators > Country Hire Cars > Transferring a Country Hire Car licence

Transferring a Country Hire Car licence

Sections of the Commercial Passenger Vehicle Industry Act 2017 relating to commercial passenger vehicle licences are now law. Information about the changes is available on the Industry reforms page.

The below information may be out of date as this page is currently under review.

Country Hire Car licences are transferable and can either be sold separately or as part of a package with the vehicle that is operating on the licence. Country Hire Car licences are issued granting operating rights within the country hire car zone.

From 1 June 2015 we will no longer record on licence certificates if the licence is currently being held as security by a financial institution for a loan such as a mortgage, charge, lien or trust. This is known as an encumbrance.

In addition from 1 June 2015, the TSC will not accept the notation of any new encumbrances for licences. Instead, financial institutions should use of the Personal Property Securities Register. The register enables individuals or organisations (such as financial institutions) to record their interest in property.  Members of the public are able to search this register to see if a security interest is listed against personal property (such as a licence).

It is your responsibility to confirm if a hire car licence is being held as security before purchasing it.

Any licence that has an encumbrance noted with the TSC (and printed on the licence certificate issued before 1 June 2015) will still need to provide evidence from the financial institution releasing the licence prior to the it being transferred.

How to apply

To apply to transfer a Country Hire Car licence, the licence holder must complete and submit one copy of the following documents to us:

Application for Transfer of a Commercial Passenger Vehicle Licence – Country Hire Car form

Relevant Person form

The TSC will conduct a Criminal History Check on your behalf. The results of this check may affect your application. To find out more about police checks see Police Checks by the TSC.

  • ASIC company extract (if applying in the name of a company that lists all of the Directors)
  • Contract of sale, signed by vendor and purchaser, stipulating the licence number, licence sale price and vehicle sale price (*vehicle sale price only applicable if purchaser is buying existing hire car).
  • Application fee.

You will also be required to provide proof of your identity. See below on what is acceptable identification.

Proof of Identity

Approved applications

Should your application for transfer of a commercial passenger vehicle licence be approved, we will request the following:

  • A letter of settlement, signed by both the vendor and purchaser, stating that all money stipulated in the contract has been received by the vendor and that there are no monies outstanding.
  • If a vehicle is also being transferred, we will issue an 'Authority to Register' to permit the registration transfer of the vehicle into the name of the purchaser.
  • If no vehicle is being transferred, the presentation of a registration certificate and current roadworthy certificate from a licensed taxi tester for the vehicle to be used as a hire car (no older than 30 days).

VHC registration plates can be transferred with their present vehicle to the purchaser or we will issue new VHC plates for a new vehicle.

See also: Applying for a Country Hire Car licence.