Home > Drivers > Taxi drivers > Driver rights and responsibilities > Insurance, compensation and occupational health & safety

Insurance, compensation and occupational health & safety

The TSC should provide guidance to drivers on their rights in relation to workers compensation insurance, occupational health and safety, crimes compensation and other statutory protections.

Workers Compensation Insurance

WorkSafe Victoria (WorkSafe) is responsible for administering Victoria's workers compensation legislation and occupational health and safety legislation. 

WorkSafe provides compensation to workers for work-related injuries or illnesses. 

WorkSafe insurance is compulsory insurance for Victorian employers. It provides employers with insurance cover for the cost of benefits if their workers are injured or become ill because of their work.

Types of Workers

Victorian workers compensation legislation establishes where an individual is considered a worker in certain types of occupations or industries. These industries and occupations include Taxi drivers.

Which taxi drivers are workers for WorkSafe insurance purposes?

When a person has the use of a motor vehicle (the driver) under a contract of bailment with another person (the operator) and they (the driver) use the vehicle to carry passengers for reward and they (the driver) are required under the contract to make payments to the operator for the use of the motor vehicle, then the operator is deemed to be the employer of the driver for WorkSafe insurance purposes.

Occupational Health & Safety

In Victoria, workplace health and safety is governed by a system of laws, regulations and compliance codes which set out the responsibilities of employers and workers to ensure that safety is maintained at work.

As a worker, you have a duty of care to ensure that you work in a manner that is not harmful to your own health and safety and the health and safety of others. This duty of care also extends to your employer. 

If you are injured at work

If you have a work-related injury or illness, you must notify your employer within 30 days of you becoming aware of it. You may be able to claim Worksafe entitlements. 

You are entitled to claim whether you are permanent or casual, full time or part time, employed by the people where you work or by an employment agency. 

To obtain further information regarding your rights in relation to workers compensation insurance and occupational health and safety, contact WorkSafe's Advisory Service on:

Victims of Crime Compensation

The Victorian Government through the Department of Justice & Regulation has established a Victims Support Agency (VSA) to help people in Victoria manage the effects of violent crime. 

The VSA represents people affected by crime, coordinating a whole-of-government approach to services for victims. The agency operates the Victims of Crime Helpline, and funds statewide services to provide victims with practical assistance, counselling and support through the justice system.

The VSA can assist you in a number of ways including:

  • Helping you report a crime,
  • Find other services that can help you;
  • Get information about your rights,
  • Get information about how courts work, and
  • Help you in applying for compensation and financial assistance.

The VSA can be contacted on:

Transport Accident Commission

The Transport Accident Commission (TAC) covers transport accidents directly caused by the driving of a car, motorcycle, bus, tram or train. The TAC can provide support services for people injured in a transport accident as a driver, passenger, pedestrian, motorcyclist, or in some cases, a cyclist. 

The TAC is a 'no fault' scheme. This means that medical benefits will be paid to an injured person regardless of who caused the accident.

The TAC can also pay income support while you recover, and in the case of some serious injuries a lump sum payment may also be payable. 

For more information about the medical, rehabilitation, income and lump sum support the TAC can offer, contact the TAC on: