Home > Drivers > Apply for driving instructor authorisation

Apply for driving instructor authorisation

Do I need to become an authorised driving instructor?

A driving instructor is anyone who, for profit/gain or as part of their trade or business, teaches an unlicensed person to drive a motor car on a public or open road.

This definition doesn’t include motorcycles, a vehicle that weighs more than 4.5 tonnes or a vehicle that has seating for more than 12 adults including the driver.

Professional driving instructors in Victoria must hold a Driving Instructor Authority (DIA) when teaching an unlicensed person to drive a motor car.

Criteria to apply for a DIA

To receive a DIA you must meet the following criteria.

  • Hold a full (non-probationary) Australian motor car driver licence
  • successfully complete the Certificate IV in Transport and Logistics (Road Transport – Car Driving Instruction) (TLI41216) at a registered training organisation (insert link). This must be accompanied by a letter advising if you completed the training in a manual or automatic vehicle
  • complete a Commercial Passenger Vehicles Victoria Informed Consent form. This allows us to conduct a criminal history check on your behalf
  • pass a driver history check. Applications will be checked for serious or frequent traffic offences. A history of serious or frequent breaches of the Road Safety Act 1986 may disqualify a person from being granted an authority
  • hold a current Working with Children Check (issued for ’employment’ purposes) if you intend to instruct students under the age of 18 years on a regular basis.

Driving instructors are required to adhere to driving instructor conditions:


Full Driving Instructor Authorities are issued for a period of three years.

Temporary, one-year Driving Instructor Authorities are issued to people who have a medical condition that needs to be reviewed annually. They may also be issued as a result of disciplinary proceedings.

For more information, please see fees and charges.

Mutual recognition

You’re eligible to apply for mutual recognition if you’re currently an accredited driving instructor from another state or territory in Australia or New Zealand.

For more information visit our Mutual recognition page.

Industry associations

Contact information for industry bodies and associations:

For further information, contact us.

Related information